Kim Keat Road is named after Chua (Choa) Kim Keat who is a Peranakan merchant and the only son of Chua Kai Hoon, a native of Malacca who migrated to Singapore and died in 1865. Chua Kim Keat started out as a tin salesman for Lim Tiang Wah and Sons and became a leading figure in the tin smelting company in 1886. To commemorate his achievements, Kim Keat Road was named after him. Kim Keat Road once stretched all the way to the area around the Lian Shan Shuang Lin Temple in Toa Payoh. A site worth visiting, it houses the oldest Buddhist Monastery in Singapore and was built in 1908 by two Hokkien merchants, Low Kim Pong and Yeo Poon Seng. Another site worth visiting that is located at the far end of Kim Keat Road just across Sungei Whampoa is the mosque named Masjid Hajjah Rahimabi Kebun Limau. The origins of this mosque can be traced back to 1959 when residents of Kebun Limau sought to build a surau (prayer hall) where they could hold Friday prayers and other community events. In 1961, the government granted the residents a 573-square metre plot by Kim Keat Road and fund raising efforts were started to contribute to the building of the surau, which was later known as Surau Kebun Limau.
As the Malay-Muslim community increased in the 1970s, there was a pressing need for a bigger premise to hold their prayers and community events- thus the idea for a mosque was born.The funding of the mosque was derived from a donation of $1.6 million from a wealthy lady merchant named Hajjah Rahimabi Ahmad Angullia. SInce then, the mosque was completed in 1784 and was named after her in honour of her generosity.