Former Fairfield Girls’ School

178 Neil Road, Singapore 088889 Get Directions

6 loved this Place

Roots logo (645 x 430)
The school was founded in 1888 by Miss Sophia Blackmore, an Australian missionary. It began with 8 Peranakan students, as a one-room school for girls in Cross Street and was named Telok Ayer Girls’ School. In 1912, the generous donation of $5,000 from an American, Mr Fairfield, helped in the construction of the school at Neil Road, and was renamed Fairfield Girls’ School. Its elegant two storey neo-classical façade features recessed balconies and a central pediment.