Jothi Store and Flower Shop was founded in the early 1960s as a flower stall along a five-foot way space. The small stall sold traditional Indian garlands, betel leaves and prayer items. It was then called Ottuk Kudai. Its founder, Ramachandra Murugaia, arrived at Singapore in 1948, when he was 17 years old. He named the shop after his first daughter Jothi. Since then, the small shop has grown into a thriving five-storey business in Campbell Lane. Murugaia’s son, Ramakumar Chandra, took over the business in 1986. Since then, the company has expanded into Malaysia and started exporting to other parts of the world.