Changi Murals

1000 Upper Changi Road, Singapore 507707 Get Directions

8 loved this Place

Changi Murals

Murals on the walls of St Luke's Chapel in Changi Prisoner-of-War (POW) Camp during the Japanese Occupation (1942-5) were a symbol of hope and faith at a time of great suffering. Painted by Brigadier Stanley Warren, a bombardier of the 15 Field Regiment Royal Artillery, they depicted scenes from the Bible: Nativity, Last Supper, Crucifixion, Resurrection and St Paul in Prison.

Located at one end of Block 151 of Changi (at Martlesham Road) - the Dysentry Wing of the hospital section of the camp, Warren began painting the five murals in October 1942. As paint was not easily available then, the resourceful artist used brown camouflage paint, crush billiard cue chalk, crimson paint and white oil paint for his paintings.

Despite suffering from dysentery during this period, Warren completed five live-size murals by May 1943, bearing testimony to the triumphant human spirit. All the murals survived the end of the war except for St Paul in Prison, which was destroyed by the Japanese when they extended one of the rooms in the camp. Four and a quarter now remain. Warren returned to Singapore in 1964, 1982 and 1988 to assist in their restoration.

On display in Changi Chapel and Museum (at 1000 Upper Changi Road North) are exact replicas of the murals, while the originals still stand at Changi Camp, today an army logistics training centre.