Clifford Pier

The Fullerton Bay Hotel, 80 Collyer Quay, Singapore 049326 Get Directions

3 loved this Place

Clifford Pier

Clifford Pier was the landing point of sea passengers and immigrants who came to seek a new life of hope in Singapore.

Named after the Governor Sir Hugh Charles Clifford.  Clifford Pier was opened in 1933, replacing Johnston Pier which once stood nearby, opposite the Fullerton Square.  Johnston Pier, built in 1855, was named after the prominent merchant Alexander Laurie Johnston.

To many local people, Clifford Pier is also known as the Red Lamp Pier as there used to be a red oil lamp hanging at the pier to serve as a directional sign to seafarers.