Dental Education and modern dentistry in Singapore began here in 1929. The original Clinic and Dental School of the King Edward VII college of Medicine had its beginnings on this site in the Norris Block of the General Hospital. In 1938, the clinic expanded into a purpose-built facility adjacent to Norris Block. The Japanese military occupied the clinic from 1942 to 1945.
The Clinic and School reopened in 1945 in the same premises. When the School relocated to Kent Ridge in 1986, the clinic continued as the Government Dental Clinics. Patients needing specialist oral healthcare were referred to this clinic where the staff contributed much to undergraduate and postgraduate training and research. In 1997, this building was demolished when the National Dental Centre, which now stands here, was commissioned.
The National Dental Centre carries on the proud tradition of caring for patients and developing dentistry in Singapore.