The Ang Mo Kio Joint Temple we see today was completed in 2011 and it comprises of three older temples which came together to build a temple at the present site - Kong Lim Kong, Kim Eang Tong and Leng San Giam.
Kong Lim Kong is one of the oldest temples in Ang Mo Kio. In the late 1880s, four immigrants from Nan An county in Fujian province, China came to Singapore and set up a settlement known as Kow Tiow Kio ( “Nine Bridges” in Hokkien). In 1888, the Kong Lim Kong Temple (named after its mother temple in China, Hao Lin Gong) was established here. It was then reconstructed in 1962.
The second temple, Kim Eang Tong was established in 1961 in Jio Sua Village by the Kim Eang religious order. Similarly to Kow Tiow Kio, it was a predominantly Hokkien settlement with a small minority of Teochew and Hainanese settlers. It focused on Buddhism and Taoism and was traditionally only for Hakkas but became a temple open to non-Hakkas in Singapore. The temple served an important purpose of curing the ill by seeking help from the resident spiritual master who was trained in traditional Chinese medicine.
The last temple, Leng San Giam, was established in the 1950s by immigrants with the surname Chew from Yongchun county in Fujian province in the early 1900s. The patron deities were famous for working miracles and hence attracted many lay followers.