The St Anna’s School with an enrolment of 6 students was opened at Middle Rd in 1879 by the Portuguese Mission. This later became the St Anthony’s Boys and Girls School. In 1906, the Girls’ school became known as St Anthony’s Convent and was run by nuns of the Canossian order. Over the years, new wings and a chapel were added. In 1952, a modern 5-storey building fronting Middle Rd took the place of the old wooden convent.