Former Stamford Girls’ School & Gan Eng Seng School

155 Waterloo Street, Singapore 187962 Get Directions

5 loved this Place

Roots logo (645 x 430)
From the late 19th century until World War II, the area around Middle Road, Hylam and Malay Street was a bustling Japanese enclave. Here the Japan Club built The Japanese School in 1920 and was closed by the British Army at the beginning of World War II. Notable features include the pediment with motif of the Rising Sun and original windows with blue-green 1920s glass. It later housed Gan Eng Seng School and Stamford Girls’ School.