Bussorah Street (Former Kampong Tembaga)

Get Directions

5 loved this Place

Bussorah Street
Bussorah Street and its immediate vicinity are often regarded as the heart of Kampong Glam by former residents. It was originally called “Sultan Road” and renamed “Bussorah Street” in 1910 after a place in present-day Iraq. “Tembaga” means “copper” in Malay, and refers to the Javanese coppersmiths who were once active in this area. Many people visit Kampong Tembaga to buy or repair their copper implements and utensils. The trade gradually declined in the post-war years due to factors such as the availability of cheaper utensils.