The history of the mosque traces back to 1823, when the sultan wanted a mosque built near his residence. The current building, however, was constructed in the early 1920s. Masjid Sultan was officially declared a national monument in 1975, and a similar-styled annex was built in 1993 to house various functions. The mosque was designed in the Indo-Saracenic style, with domes, minarets and balustrades. The building’s most striking features are its two large golden-yellow domes. Donated glass bottles from the community were incorporated into the base of the dome. In front of the mosque lies the grave of Tunku Alam, the grandson of Sultan Hussein.