Established in 1924, Ananda Bhavan Restaurant is the oldest Indian vegetarian restaurant in Singapore. Its first restaurant, located at the Ellison Building, is currently owned by its founder’s grandson, Rama Chandra. Ananda Bhavan means “house of bliss” in Hindi and was named after the home of India’s first Prime Minister as Chandra’s grandfather was a nationalist. The restaurant started out by serving only South Indian vegetarian cuisine. In recent years, it has included North Indian and Indian Chinese fusion vegetarian cuisine on its menu. Ananda Bhavan has expanded over the years and now has four branches in the vicinity of Little India and one at Changi Business Park.