Sian Teck Tng (“Hall of Good Merit” in Teochew) was built in 1904 as a zhaitang (or vegetarian convent) for female devotees. Located at Cuppage Road, this Chinese temple was frequented by some of the residents of Emerald Hill.
The temple’s director was Beh Soon Ching, who founded a similar hall in 1894 at Devonshire Road called Tong Sian Tng (“Hall of Common Goodness”) for male devotees. In the past, Sian Teck Tng housed an estimated 40 widows and unmarried women who served the temple by reciting scriptures and performing religious rites. The main deity at Sian Teck Tng is Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy.
Return to Orchard Heritage Trail