Collyer Quay once greeted travellers who approached Singapore on ships before setting foot at Clifford Pier, which opened in 1933. Clifford Pier also served as a departure point for boats to the Southern Islands until 2006.
The Customs House building, completed in 1969, housed officers who kept a look-out for maritime smugglers. Red beacons indicated the piers’ location at night, so the area was also popularly known to locals as such in their various local languages.
The Singapore River Walk is developed by National Heritage Board and adopted by American Express.