4 Goodwood Hill

4 Goodwood Hill Singapore 258900 Get Directions

1 loved this Place

4 Goodwood Hill

Built by the Public Work Department (PWD), this colonial building on the top of Goodwood Hill once served as a training centre for civil servants such as Government Audit and the role of the Civil Service and Public Service Commission.

According to Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s memoirs, the first director of this Political Study Centre was Mr George Thomas, a senior civil Servant in the colonial service and the Singapore government. The centre was inaugurated by Mr Lee on 15 August 1959. It was the precursor to the Staff Training Institute established in 1971 to impart officers in the Administrative Service with modern management concepts.

 

 

Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.