Frequent outbreaks of diseases such as typhoid, cholera and malaria prompted the British Administration to establish the Government Infectious Disease Camp in 1907 along Balestier Road. The facility was moved to its present site in 1913. The former Infectious Disease Hospital was then helmed by Dr W.R.C. Middleton.
The hospital was colloquially known as Or Sai, or ‘black lion’ in Hokkien, alluding to the lion on the hospital’s emblem and the two black lion statues at its entrance. The hospital became part of Tan Tock Seng Hospital and was renamed the Communicable Disease Centre (CDC) in 1985.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.