The site of Fairfield Methodist Church was formerly Metropole, otherwise known as Jing Hwa Cinema.
It was one of Chinatown's three famous cinemas, the others being Oriental and Majestic. Designed in the Modernist style by local architect Wong Foo Nam, the building was completed in 1958.
The cinema ceased operations in October 1985. Fairfield Methodist Church subsequently acquired the building, which underwent renovations in 1986; additional rooms and church fixtures such as an altar and communion rail were added. Most of the original spaces, however, were kept intact.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.