The three-storey Neoclassical former Fairfield Methodist Girl's School features a rarely-seen broken pediment and urn ornament on the top of the building's central bay. It was the second building used by the Fairfield Methodist School.
The school was founded by Miss Sophia Blackmore in 1888 and was known as the Anglo-Chinese Girls' School initially. As the school was located in Telok Ayer, it was later renamed as Telok Ayer Girls' School. In 1912, then principal Miss Mary Olson successfully raised funds to construct a new building on Neil Road. As the biggest donor was from a gentleman with the last name of Fairfield, the new school was named Fairfield Girls' School in his honour.
By 1958, the school adopted the new name of Fairfield Methodist Girls’ School to reflect the school's Christian background. The school moved out in 1983 as the building could no longer accommodate the growing student body. The building was vacant for nearly 30 years before becoming the Ministry of Home Affair's Home Team Career Centre after extensive restoration in 2013.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.