Haw Par Villa exhibit showing a sculpture of a gorilla

Originally called Tiger Balm Gardens, Haw Par Villa was built on Pasir Panjang Road in 1937 by Aw Boon Haw, who set up an entertainment and educational park on the site, erecting statues and tableaux portraying anecdotes from Chinese folklore and legend. A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Aw was also synonymous with Tiger Balm, the renowned product that he and his younger brother, Aw Boon Par, successfully marketed in Singapore and around the region.

Date/Period
1958
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 5.8 x 5.9 cm
Accession No.
1998-00326-130
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives