A view of Collyer Quay, south from Johnston's Pier

Collyer Quay was named after the sea wall that was designed by George Chancellor Collyer of the Madras Engineers and completed in 1864 as a form of defence for Singapore. The quay was built on the reclaimed seafront using convict labourers. About a decade before that, in 1855, Johnston's Pier was built and named after Alexander Laurie Johnston, the prominent merchant who came to Singapore in 1820.

Date/Period
c. 1900
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 9 x 14 cm
Accession No.
1995-03679
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards