The Sultan Mosque at Muskat Street

The original structure of Sultan Mosque, known in Malay as ‘Masjid Sultan’, was built between 1824 and 1826 under the patronage of Sultan Hussein Shah of Johor, who acquired funds for the project from the East India Company as part of the treaty arrangements that allowed the setting up of a British trading settlement in Singapore. Situated at what is today Muskat Street, the mosque underwent a major reconstruction that was completed in 1928. The new building was designed by architectural firm Swan & Maclaren and featured Islamic elements such as minarets and domes in the Saracenic style. Gazetted as a national monument in 1975, the mosque continues to function as a site for religious worship today.

Date/Period
1958
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 6 x 6 cm
Accession No.
1998-00326-165
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives