Visitors posing next to a sculpture at Haw Par Villa

Originally called Tiger Balm Gardens, Haw Par Villa was built on Pasir Panjang Road by Aw Boon Haw in 1937, a prominent businessman and philanthropist who wanted to use the gardens to educate the public about Chinese culture. Visitors are able to view a wide range of sculptures and displays that pertain to Chinese legend and traditions, such as scenes from Chinese classical novels, as well as ornate pagodas and pavilions designed in traditional style. Together with his younger brother, Boon Par, the Aw brothers were synonymous with Tiger Balm, the renowned ointment for aches and pains, which they successfully marketed in Singapore and around the region during the early 20th century.

Date/Period
1950s-1970s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 13.5 x 8.5 cm
Accession No.
2001-00235-106
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Credit Line
Gift of Lee Hong Khim
Category
Photographs and Negatives