Wooden school chair used in Singapore Chinese Girls’ School (SCGS)

This school chair was used by students attending the Singapore Chinese Girls’ School (SCGS). SCGS first opened in 1899 as a result of the reform movement led by Song Ong Siang and Lim Boon Keng to educate women on local rather than foreign (missionary) initiative.

Date/Period
1940s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: H87 x W38.1 x D38.5 cm
Accession No.
2006-00330
Material
Wood
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Credit Line
Gift of Ms. Julie Kwong
Category
Folklife Collection