The Singapore Botanic Gardens

The Botanic Gardens was originally established as a leisure and ornamental park in 1859 on land given by the Chinese pioneer Hoo Ah Kay, also known as Whampoa. The Gardens had always been a major tourist attraction and it was here that Singapore's national flower, Vanda Miss Joaquim, was discovered. An Armenian lady, Agnes Joaquim, had noticed a new hybrid in her garden, which was promptly confirmed by Henry Ridley, the Gardens' first director, as a new orchid hybrid.

Date/Period
Late 19th century
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 21.7 x 27.4 cm
Accession No.
1993-00285-028
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives