A view of South Bridge Road

The postcard depicts a view along South Bridge Road. Built between 1827 and 1843 by Naraina Pillay, a Hindu trader from Penang, the Sri Mariamman temple with its ornate gate tower or ‘gopuram’ is on the left. In the background, the twin minarets of the Jamae Mosque can be seen. It was also known as Chulia Mosque as it was built by Chulia Muslims from India's Coromandel Coast between 1830 and 1855.

Date/Period
Late 19th century
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 8.7 x 13.5 cm
Accession No.
1995-01568
Material
Paper
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards