Symbolising good luck, bats form the main decorative motif on this traditional gate, known as the Chi Hsia Arch, which is sandwiched between artful articial mounts and grottoes on both sides. Originally called Tiger Balm Gardens, Haw Par Villa was built on Pasir Panjang Road in 1937 by Aw Boon Haw, who set up an entertainment and educational park on the site, erecting statues and tableaux portraying anecdotes from Chinese folklore and legend. Two other Tiger Balm Gardens were built, one in Hong Kong, the other in the Fujian province of China. A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Aw was also synonymous with Tiger Balm, the renowned product that he and his younger brother, Aw Boon Par, successfully marketed in Singapore and around the region. The family later sold Haw Par Villa to the Singapore Tourism Board in 1979.