Originally known as the Impounding Reservoir, MacRitchie Reservoir was completed between the 1860s and 1870s. The reservoir was later renamed Thomson Road Reservoir in 1907 and eventually MacRitchie Reservoir in 1922, in honour of James MacRitchie, a municipal engineer. The tranquil and scenic setting made it a popular spot for families and couples. This photograph was donated by Si Jing (pen name of Ng Soo Lui), a prolific female writer in the Chinese community who has written extensively on her childhood and life in Chinatown. Her husband, Huang Da Li, was an amateur photographer.