'Bell' Radio

The British Malaya Broadcasting Corporation set up the first broadcasting station in Singapore at Caldecott Hill in 1935. Early in 1946, the civil government took over from the British Military Administration and inaugurated a medium- and short-wave service known as Radio Malaya for the whole Malay Peninsula. In the 1950s, before the introduction of television in Singapore, politicians such as Marshall used the radio as a key medium to communicate their speeches to the masses.

Date/Period
1950s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: L28.5 x W16.0 x H17.5 cm
Accession No.
1999-01362
Material
Metal, wood
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Folklife Collection