Haw Par Villa statue of an old man

Located near the main entrance, this statue of an old man gestures the way inside the park, symbolising the Chinese saying of ‘offering advice to those who have lost their way’. Originally called Tiger Balm Gardens, Haw Par Villa was built on Pasir Panjang Road by Aw Boon Haw in 1937. A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Aw had set up the gardens with the intention of educating the public about Chinese culture.

Date/Period
1950s-1970s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 13.7 x 9.1 cm
Accession No.
2000-05928
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards