Victoria Theatre and Memorial Hall, Supreme Court and Municipal Building

The Victoria Memorial Hall was completed in 1905, while the Victoria Theatre (originally the Town Hall) was opened in 1909. The 54-metre clock tower was completed in 1906 and was sponsored by the Straits Trading Company. The Memorial Hall was renovated sometime between 1979 and 1980 to serve as a concert hall. Today, the Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall are used for cultural shows and concerts respectively.The Supreme Court was opened on 3 August 1939 while the Municipal Building was built between 1926 and 1929. In 1951, the Municipal Building’s name was changed to City Hall.

Date/Period
1945-1946
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: L:7.9 x W:5.7 cm
Accession No.
2001-00081
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Credit Line
Gift of Mr. Harold Gresly-Grey
Category
Photographs and Negatives