This postcard belongs to a series of missionary postcards distributed by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S.P.G). It was formed in London and began work in Singapore in 1861. Colonial Singapore in the 19th and 20th centuries was a plural society that was made up of many immigrants. The various missionary institutions and social organisations, such as St. Joseph’s Institution and Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, provided welfare for many poor immigrants. Among the services they rendered were the provision of schools and orphanages.