The front of the Exchange Building

The Exchange Building was completed in 1879 under the direction of the Singapore Exchange, which issued subscription bonds to fund the building project. It was situated at a prime commercial site at the mouth of the bustling Singapore River, near Johnston’s Pier and Cavenagh Bridge. Among its tenants were the Singapore Chamber of Commerce, the Singapore Sporting Club and the Post Office. It was demolished sometime between late 1923 and early 1924 to make way for the construction of the Fullerton Building, whose main tenant was the General Post Office.

Date/Period
Early 20th century
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 21.6 x 27.5 cm
Accession No.
1993-00285-012
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives