The Raffles Library and Museum building at Stamford Road was officially opened by Sir Frederick Weld, Governor of the Straits Settlements, on 12 October 1887. This coincided with the year of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. Designed by Sir Henry McCallum and Major J.F. McNair, the structure was built in response to the need for more space to house the large collection of books and artefacts held by the public institution. Further building extensions were made in 1906, 1916, 1926 and 1934 as the collection continued to grow. The institution was revamped in 1960 with the formation of the National Library, which shifted to a new building adjacent to the original site. The museum section, renamed the National Museum following Singapore’s independence in 1965, continues to occupy the building, which recently underwent major renovation works and reopened in 2006.