Desk from the old CHIJ buildings

This desk belonged to the old CHIJ buildings before restoration works began in the 1980s. Known as CHIJMES today, the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) was a premier girls' school founded in Singapore in 1854. With its campuses located along Victoria Street, Bras Basah Road, North Bridge Road and Stamford Road, CHIJ included the English-language primary and secondary shools, St Nicholas Girls' School, an orphanage, the nun's quarters and the chapel.

Date/Period
20th century
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: H 73 x W 63 x D 47.4 cm
Accession No.
2012-00907
Material
Wood
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Furniture