MV Gurusamy and S Gopalakrishnan with his daughter Selvi (7 years old) singing at the Tank Road Temple

Mr. S Gopalakrishnan (b. in 1920 in Tanjavur) was a prominent violinist, and Carnatic singer. He arrived in Singapore in 1939 and actively participated in the Indian classical music scene here. Mr Gopalakrishnan performed alongside veterans of classical performers such as Pandit M Ramalingam and MV Gurusamy at temple and other music festivals. He also taught violin lessons at the Singapore Malayalee Association from the 1970s to 2000s. He was a member of the Tamils Reform Association and performed his wedding according to the principles of the Self-Respect Movement. He was also employed as a compositor at the Far East Air Force from 1954 to 1970.

Date/Period
1971
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: 8.6 x 13.5 cm
Accession No.
2016-00608
Material
Paper
Collection of
Indian Heritage Centre
Credit Line
Gift of Mrs Marimuthu Gopalakrishnan
Category
Photographs and Negatives