The Cavenagh Bridge was constructed in 1869 to provide a linkage between the North and South bank of the Singapore River. It is the oldest bridge along the Singapore River in its original form, and also the first suspension bridge in Singapore made of steel.The bridge is named after Colonel Orfeur Cavenagh, the Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1859-1867. Manufactured by P & W MacLellan in Scotland, parts of the bridge were shipped to Singapore and assembled by the Indian convict labour.When the bridge was unable to withstand heavy traffic in the late 1800s, it was replaced by Anderson Bridge. Cavenagh Bridge then became a pedestrian bridge. At the both ends of the bridge today, the notice to forbid heavy vehicular traffic from exceeding 152 kilograms can still be seen.