The Chinese Protectorate

The Chinese Protectorate Building on Havelock Road, shown in this colour postcard, was built in 1886 and housed the Protectorate until 1930. Later, it was demolished to make way for a larger building used by the Ministry of Labour (the current Ministry of Manpower). Formed in 1877, the Protectorate handled matters related to Chinese immigrants. William Pickering was the first Protector, as well as the Joint Registrar of Societies, who had the power to control secret societies in Singapore.1910s

Date/Period
1910s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: L14.1 cm x W9.1 cm
Accession No.
1999-02530
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards