Tanglin Barracks

The Tanglin Barracks was built in the 1860s to accommodate the increasing number of British soldiers in the settlement. It was a British military headquarters before and after World War Two. The barracks were eventually handed over to the Singapore government in 1971 and became the headquarters of the Ministry of Defence and the Central Manpower Base from 1972 to 1989. In 2001, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs took over the main building. The area is now known as Tanglin Village.

Date/Period
1945-1946
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 8.3 x 13.3 cm
Accession No.
2001-00147
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Credit Line
Gift of Mr. Harold Gresly-Grey
Category
Photographs and Negatives