Snake charmers were a popular tourist attraction in the 1950s and 1960s and they often performed outside hotels and other public places that were frequented by tourists such as Sentosa and Mount Faber. They have since become a rare sight in modern-day Singapore.Telok Blangah Hill was renamed Mount Faber in July 1845 after Captain Charles Edward Faber of the Madras Engineers, who as Superintendent Engineer was responsible for constructing a road and signal station on the hill. The hill was referred to as Bukit Bendara (Flag Hill) by the Malays in reference to the signal station, which was erected to replace the station found on neighbouring Pulau Blakang Mati (now known as Sentosa). Following the Singapore Indian Mutiny of 1857, the colonial government decided to construct a fort on the hill. Although several gun emplacements were constructed on the hill, the fort was never completed. An observatory was built on the hill in 1905 following a recommendation by Mr. R. S. Fry, who was the head of the observatory at nearby Pulau Brani. In 1964, a scenic park was opened on Mount Faber to enable tourists to enjoy panoramic views of Keppel Harbour and the Central Business District.