The Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery (more popularly known as Bright Hill Temple) is a Buddhist temple complex located along 88 Bright Hill Road at Bishan. The monastery was established in 1921 by Venerable Zhuan Dao in the Buddhist ‘forest tradition’, which places an emphasis on meditation rather than ceremonial or scholarly practices. Following the transfer of leadership to Venerable Hoon Choon in 1947, the temple underwent a period of rapid expansion to become the largest religious complex in Singapore. Structures found on the 12-hectare site of the temple complex include prayer halls, monks’ quarters, a retirement home, library, crematorium and columbarium. The temple is known for its ‘Three Steps, One Bow’ ritual, which is an expression of repentance performed by Buddhists on the eve of Vesak Day.