This print (aquatint) shows the French corvette ‘La Favorite’, under the command of Captain Cyrille Laplace, which sailed eastwards around the world between 1830 and 1833. Singapore was the first port of call after the Strait of Malacca, and ‘La Favorite’ spent five days here between 17 and 25 August 1830. One of a pair of views made of the Signapore River (see 2009-01626), it shows the mouth of the river looking upstream. On the left is South Boat Quay; the north bank is visible on the right. European merchants displaced from the north used warehouses on the originally marshy south bank after it was reclaimed in 1822. Masonry buildings and the row of steps built for ships to access the quay at high and low tide are also shown. Several buildings reflect Raffles’ instructions for houss to be biult of stone, with protected covered walkways in front.