1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.


Places - Buildings and Sites

43 results found.

  • Chatsworth Park Conservation Area


    The 27 conserved bungalows in the Chatsworth Park Conservation Area were built in the 1920s and 1930s. These bungalows were mainly designed in the Art Deco and ‘black and white’ styles, to house expatriate staffs of firms such as the Straits Trading Company, Cable & Wireless, McAlister & Co. and Firestone Rubber Company.

  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Tanglin Village


    The former Tanglin Barracks and Tanglin Officers’ Mess are situated on the site of a former nutmeg estate which was known as Mount Harriet in 1850s. The plantation was co-owned by British Colonial Treasurer William W. Willans and Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa). The site was selected by Captain George Collyer of the Madras Engineers to house the British reinforcement troops that were deployed to Singapore to strengthen its defence. The site was eventually purchased for $25,000 Spanish dollars in 1860 for British military use.

  • Former Brunei Hostel


    Located at the end of Tanglin Road, the Brunei hostel was constructed by the Brunei government in the mid-1950s to provide accommodation for Brunei students studying in Singapore. The hostel opened in 1958 and was known as Asrama Kerajaan Brunei di Singapura (AKBS) or Tanglin (Hill) Brunei Hostel amongst locals.

  • Phoenix Park


    Phoenix Park was designed by Messrs Palmer and Turner, an architectural firm, at the cost of $1.3 million. The complex of buildings was completed in 1949 and had the capacity to hold a total of 180 offices and facilities. The site was previously part of the Singapore Japanese Golf Club’s golf course before it was taken over by Kay Siang Camp (also known as the Royal Engineers’ camp) to house the commander of the Royal Engineers.

  • Danish Seamen's Church (Former Golden Bell Mansion)

    danish seamen church

    Completed in 1910 by philanthropist Tan Boo Liat, great-grandson of Tan Tock Seng, the former Golden Bell Mansion was named after Tan Boo Liat’s grandfather Tan Kim Ching, whose name means golden bell.

    Culture & Community, Community
  • Singapore Sindhi Association

    Singapore Sindhi Association

    The Singapore Sindhi Association (SSA) traces its roots to 1921 where 10 members came together to form the Sindhi Merchants Association. The association established its first premises in 1938 at Engor Street to provide Sindhi travellers in transit with comfortable boarding facilities.

  • Haw Par Villa

    Haw Par Villa

    Haw Par Villa is located on a hill side in Pasir Panjang. It originally comprised a villa designed by architect Ho Kwang Yew and a large garden space. The compound was a gift from Mr Aw Boon Haw to his younger brother Mr Aw Boon Par.

  • Selegie House

    Selegie House

    Selegie House is a building complex that consist of one block of 20-storey flats and two blocks of 10-storey flats. These blocks used to be linked by four rows of 2-storey blocks which had since been demolished and replaced with link ways.

  • Bras Basah Complex

    Bras Basah Complex

    Bras Basah Complex was known as书城 (shu cheng, meaning “City of Books” in Mandarin) as the complex is famed for its numerous bookstores. It is also known as 百胜楼 (bai sheng lou in Mandarin).

    Culture & Community
  • Wesley Methodist Church

    Wesley Methodist Church

    The Wesley Methodist Church is the first Methodist Church established in Singapore by Reverend William Oldham, Reverend Dr and Mrs James Thoburn and Miss Julia Battle in 1885.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5