Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places - Historic Site Markers



99 results found.

  • Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple

    Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple

    This temple was built in 1884, showcasing a fine example of Chinese temple architecture and traditional craftsmanship. The temple played an important role in providing refuge for the sick, the wounded and the homeless during the Japanese Occupation.

    Category
    Architecture, Culture & Community, National History
  • Batu Berlayar

    Batu Berlayar

    A craggy granite rock outcrop known in Malay as "Batu Berlayar" ("Sailing Rock") used to stand on this shore. Another rock outcrop also used to stand on the opposite shore of Tanjong Rimau on Sentosa Island. These two rock outcrops formed a gateway at the western entrance to Keppel Harbour. They were the navigational aids to sailors and Mariners sailing through the swift flowing waters of the narrow channels between them.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Tan Tock Seng Hospital

    Tan Tock Seng Hospital

    Tan Tock Seng, a Malacca-born merchant and influential Chinese community leader and philanthropist founded the hospital on 25 July 1844. This Hospital played a significant role in the treatment of tuberculosis after WWII.

    Category
    National History, Healthcare
  • Trinity Theological College

    Trinity Theological College

    Trinity Theological College was born out of the camaraderie and spirit of Christianity experienced by the heads of the Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian Churches when they were interned at Changi Prison during the Japanese Occupation. Founded on 4th October in 1948, it was the first theological college set up to nurture leadership for the churches in Singapore and Malaya. The Lutheran Church also became a part of this union in 1963.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

    Oversea-Chinese Banking Coporation

    OCBC bank was formed on 31st October 1932 in the midst of the great depression to serve the local community. Originally housed in China Building on Chulia Street. It was torn down in 1970s for the development of the 52-storey building.

    Category
    National History
  • Pulau Sejahat

    Pulau Sejahat

    An islet located within the stretch of waters between Pulau Tekong and Changi Jetty. The island was possibly part of the integral defence of the Johore Straits when Singapore was a British Colony.

    Category
    National History, Defence
  • The First Public Dental Clinic and School

    The First Public Dental Clinic and School

    Dental Education and modern dentistry in Singapore began here in 1929. The original Clinic and Dental School of the King Edward VII college of Medicine had its beginnings on this site in the Norris Block of the General Hospital. In 1938, the clinic expanded into a purpose-built facility adjacent to Norris Block. The Japanese military occupied the clinic from 1942 to 1945.

    Category
    Healthcare, National History
  • Chen Wen Hsi Historic Marker

    Chen Wen Hsi

    One of Singapore’s first-generation artists, Chen Wen His's body of work is internationally and locally acclaimed.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Art
  • Geylang Serai

    Geylang Serai

    Geylang Serai is the social centre of the Malays in Singapore. This once agricultural area was known for the fragrant lemon grass - Serai - grown as a cash crop by the Malays who were resettled from the Singapore River mouth in the 1840s. The name Geylang Serai is said to be derived from a lemon grass factory "Kilang Serai" located east of Kallang River.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Food, National History
  • Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

    Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

    Founded in 1826, this club became the Royal Singapore Yacht Club in 1922 under the patronage of the Prince of Wales, and was renamed the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club in 1967 with the first president of Singapore, Yusof bin Ishak as its patron.

    Category
    National History, Lifestyle
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10