Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places



179 results found.

  • Institute of Mental Health

    Institute of Mental Health

    Established in 1928 as The Mental Hospital, off Yio Chu Kang Road. Convalescent Hospital during WW2. Named Woodbridge in 1951 after a wooden bridge. Expansion during 1950s-70s. Moved to new premises at Buangkok View in 1993.

    Category
    Healthcare, National History
  • Former Ford Factory

    Former Ford Factory (now Memories at Old Ford Factory)

    As Ford Motor Company’s first automobile assembly plant in Southeast Asia, this building bore witness to the booming manufacturing industry in Singapore in the twentieth century. The building is also remembered as the location where the British unconditionally surrendered Singapore to the Japanese in 1942.

    Category
    War, Architecture, National History
  • Church of Our Lady of Lourdes

    Church of Our Lady of Lourdes

    Known simply as the Indian Church or Tamil Church in the past, the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes is one of Singapore’s oldest Catholic churches. It bears testimony to the spread of Catholicism in Singapore, especially to the growth of the Tamil Catholic community over the years.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Tou Mu Kung Temple

    Tou Mu Kung Temple

    Tou Mu Kung Temple (斗母宫) is the oldest temple in Singapore dedicated to the Taoist deity Jiu Huang Ye (九皇爷, ‘Nine Emperors’ or ‘Ninth Emperor’). Besides serving the spiritual needs of both the Hokkien and Teochew communities in its vicinity, the temple also attracts huge crowds of devotees from all around the island, particularly during the grand festivities held in honour of Jiu Huang Ye during the ninth month of the lunar calendar.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • St Joseph's Church

    St Joseph's Church

    Saint Joseph’s Church was the headquarters of the Portuguese Mission in Singapore. The church was situated in what used to be the European town in colonial Singapore. The church edifice is not only a monument to the contributions of the Portuguese and Portuguese Eurasian communities, but also to the Catholic missionaries’ commitment to provide education for children.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

    Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

    The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is one of the earliest Catholic churches built in the suburbs of Singapore. Over the years, the church has faithfully served the spiritual needs of the predominantly Teochew-speaking Catholics living in Hougang, which at a point in time outnumbered the non-Catholic community. It now stands as a living testament not only to the spread of Catholicism, but also to the many contributions of Catholic missionaries in nineteenth-century Singapore.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Singapore Armed Forces Warrant Officers and Specialists Club

    Singapore Armed Forces Warrant Officers and Specialists Club

    The British Government built the clubhouse in 1951 for British non-commissioned officers. It was handed over to Singapore Government when the British pulled out in 1969.The SAF WOSE club was formed in 1974 and was formerly known as the SAF NCO Club until it was renamed in 1994.

    Category
    National History, Defence
  • Peoples’ Defence Force Headquarters

    Peoples’ Defence Force Headquarters

    In the early days of the SAF and Singapore’s independence, the Singapore Infantry Regiment and the PDF shouldered the duties of national defence. The Beach Road Army Camp played a significant role in the transformation.

    Category
    Defence, National History
  • Queenstown Historic Marker

    Queenstown

    The Queenstown housing estate was one of the earliest housing estates developed around 1960 by the Singapore Improvement Trust(SIT) and subsequently the HDB. The British also set up a military camp “Buller Camp”, which was cleared in 1953.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Kallang Gasworks

    Kallang Gasworks

    Back in 1861 when piped gas was first introduced, gas was produced using coal as a feedstock. Kallang Gasworks' location by the bank of Rochor River was an ideal choice for easy delivery of coal by boat from neighbouring countries.

    Category
    National History
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18