Stories

Filter

111 results found.

  • Long Chin Peng, Heritage Volunteer

    Chin Peng is driven by a sense of patriotic duty to give back to society.

    Long Chin Peng gave up her job as a Chinese teacher to raise her four children. Today, she is one of the most active and respected volunteer guides among the Mandarin Docents.

  • Clara Chan, Heritage Volunteer

    As FOM’s President, Clara is still actively conducting tours as guiding is her first love.

    For decades, Clara Chan worked with numbers. When she retired, she decided to follow her heart and joined Friends of the Museums.

  • Lionel Louis, Heritage Volunteer

    Lionel Louis enjoys revealing secrets of the past that are not taught in textbooks.

    Since 2015, Lionel Louis has served as the President of Museum Volunteers, a group of 200 men and women who lead free tours of the museums on weekends.

  • Belinda Mock, Heritage Volunteer

    Belinda Mock wants visitors ro realise that she is the product of Singapore's history.

    Visitors to a museum would expect to be taken into the depths of history. But, as Belinda Mock sees it, Singapore’s past is very much breathing and alive.

  • Tekka Market

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    When Tekka Market was built in 1915, it was first called the Kandang Kerbau Market, taking the name of the district which was associated with the cattle and meat trade. The south Indians called the market “Mattu Kampong Pasar” in Tamil, a literal translation from the Malay name.

  • Geylang Serai Market & Food Centre

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    The present Geylang Serai Market & Food Centre espouses the heritage of a number of markets in the Geylang Serai area that goes back to the pre-World War II days. There was a make shift hawker shelter at the entrance of Kampong Geylang Serai, opposite Joo Chiat Road, which the municipality erected some time before 1930.

  • Newton Circus Food Centre

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    Newton Food Centre was opened in 1971 as Singapore’s first hawker centre built without a wet market. It was part of the government’s 1970 initiative to build dedicated food centres along major thoroughfares and traffic intersections.

  • People's Park Food Centre

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    The People’s Park Food Centre had its beginnings as a humble “food shelter” set up in by the municipality in 1923 to provide cover for street hawkers in the area. The first shelter had proven to be so popular amongst the hawkers that within months after its opening, more were added and the municipality “turned” it into a market.

  • Chinatown Complex Market and Food Centre

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    The Kreta Ayer Complex was built in 1981 as a part of the urban renewal of the Chinatown. It was renamed Chinatown Complex in 1984. Hence, when the market and food centre within the complex was completed in that year, it was named Chinatown Complex Market and Food Centre.

  • Maxwell Road Food Centre

    East Coast Lagoon Food Village

    Maxwell Road Food Centre started as wet market in 1929 dealing mainly with fresh produce. Although it was planned for more than a decade earlier, works on the market started only in 1927.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12